"A Happy Home is but an Earthly Heaven"

A few years ago, I found myself standing in the middle of a messy living room... having just gotten upset with someone for something unimportant. The feeling in the house, at that moment, was not exactly what I would call heavenly. I remember thinking, "Hey! What happened? I planned on being a fun mom!" I decided then to focus on what I could do to create moments that would draw my family closer together, and make our home a heaven on earth... all while having fun in the process!

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Love Seat

We played a game tonight for Family Home Evening that was really fun. Our lesson was about loving one another as the Savior loved everyone, but the activity would work anytime (especially during the LOVE-ly month of February).  I placed a chair in the middle of the room, and each family member took a turn in the chair. While the family member was in the "love-seat", the rest of the family each thought of 3 things they loved about that individual. Then, one at a time we would tell 1 of the things we loved about them. The 2 rules were that we had to get up and look them in the eyes, and after we mentioned the thing we loved, we closed by saying "...This is one of the many things I love about you." At first, I thought the rules were kind of silly, but they really added to the special-ness of the game-- particularly with my older children. My favorite part of the game was my husband telling me what he loved about me.  It was nice for my children to be reminded how much he loves me, and I love him. It was wonderful to hear everyone speak so sweet to one another. The feeling of love and kindness was so strong in our home after we finished, and the sweetness lingered all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment