"A Happy Home is but an Earthly Heaven"

A few years ago, I found myself standing in the middle of a messy living room... having just gotten upset with someone for something unimportant. The feeling in the house, at that moment, was not exactly what I would call heavenly. I remember thinking, "Hey! What happened? I planned on being a fun mom!" I decided then to focus on what I could do to create moments that would draw my family closer together, and make our home a heaven on earth... all while having fun in the process!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Memorization



A few years ago, I challenged my children (with the promise of dinner at our favorite restaurant) to memorize the 13 Articles of Faith during the summer. I made memorization cards, played the primary songs, and hung large posters around the house. Within 2 weeks, they had all passed them off-- even my 4 year old. It was so much fun, that the tradition of summer memorization has stuck. Each summer we, as a family, focus on memorizing something worthwhile. At the beginning of the summer, I present what I want them to work on memorizing, and together we decide on a reward. In the past we have done pizza parties, ice cream parties, and movie nights as the reward. I always include the Articles of Faith on the memorization list-- they usually pass those off on the first day. Some years I include quotes. Last year they each memorized this quote by Elder M. Russell Ballard:
"You do not have the right ever to be disrespectful to your mother or your father. Period. If you haven't had that taught to you before, write it in your journals and in your minds and hearts right now. Write down that I said you do not have the right to be ugly, to raise your voice, to slam doors, to scream or holler within the walls of your own home. Young people, you do have the right to be heard. If you are having difficulty getting your mother and your father to listen to you, in a calm manner just ask: 'Mom and Dad, Ive got a different feeling about a matter. Can we set a time to talk about it?"


This year, we are getting a late start, but the plan is to memorize the order and names of the First Presidency, and Quorum of the Twelve. I found some excellent printable picture cards here. And also plan to hang up their pictures around the house (can be purchased at the distribution center).


We are doing the Latter-day Prophets. There is a fun printable game here.

And, finally, we will be memorizing the order of the books in the Book of Mormon. I simply typed these up in a large font (1 Nephi, 2 Nephi, Jacob...) and printed them on cardstock. We will mix them up and practice putting them in order.

I am excited to see how it goes. It may seem like a lot, but it is amazing what kids will do for ice cream! I'll bet they will be done before the week is through! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment