"A Happy Home is but an Earthly Heaven"

A few years ago, I found myself standing in the middle of a messy living room... having just gotten upset with someone for something unimportant. The feeling in the house, at that moment, was not exactly what I would call heavenly. I remember thinking, "Hey! What happened? I planned on being a fun mom!" I decided then to focus on what I could do to create moments that would draw my family closer together, and make our home a heaven on earth... all while having fun in the process!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Come Listen to a Prophets Voice


I love General Conference. As a child, I would have never guessed how much I would grow to anticipate listening to it twice a year. I truly look forward to it. I especially love reading the Conference edition of the Ensign. It is so packed full of priceless guidance. I thought for quite a while on how I could get my children as excited about that "light and truth" as I was. I ended up purchasing a copy of the Ensign for each member of the family-- they are only a couple of dollars at the distribution center. I also bought a variety of highlighters. Twice a week, in place of that mornings scripture study, we read an article aloud. Everyone follows along, and marks passages they find meaningful. I also told them to write in the margins the thoughts that come to them. As I look through each of their Ensigns, my heart swells to read things like, "I know Jesus will really come again." or "Heavenly Father loves you. You are His child." This idea has worked so well. Highlighters make everything more fun! ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment