"A Happy Home is but an Earthly Heaven"

A few years ago, I found myself standing in the middle of a messy living room... having just gotten upset with someone for something unimportant. The feeling in the house, at that moment, was not exactly what I would call heavenly. I remember thinking, "Hey! What happened? I planned on being a fun mom!" I decided then to focus on what I could do to create moments that would draw my family closer together, and make our home a heaven on earth... all while having fun in the process!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Spread the Love

Last night, our Family Home Evening lesson was on Love One Another/ Serve those you Love. We talked about the parable of the Good Samaritan, and anwsered the question of "Who is my Neighbor?" For our activity, I presented a stack of paper hearts, and explained to the children that everytime they feel loved this week, I want them to write it on a heart, and stick it on the fridge. I have heard a lot of variations on this, but I think it is important to focus on how blessed our lives are as a result of the kindness of others. . . so I went that way. It has only been one day, and the love in our home has increased. I have seen family members go the extra mile in the kindness they are extending, and I have seen others become more aware of all the good around them. It is refreshing to focus on the positive. The hearts say things like, "Cameron said my outfit looks cute. This made me feel good." or "Dad works hard everyday, so we can have money, thanks Dad!." or "I got a BIG hug when I walked in the door today-- it was great." Our fridge is nearly covered, and we still have 6 days to go. Looks like I might need to cut out some more paper hearts! It was a simple idea, that took minimal work, and yielded great results! I recommend it to anyone whose family needs a little love-boost. I think it could work at anytime of year (not just February). I thought it might be just as fun to use paper shamrocks, and use a lesson about how LUCKY we are to be so blessed by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment