"A Happy Home is but an Earthly Heaven"

A few years ago, I found myself standing in the middle of a messy living room... having just gotten upset with someone for something unimportant. The feeling in the house, at that moment, was not exactly what I would call heavenly. I remember thinking, "Hey! What happened? I planned on being a fun mom!" I decided then to focus on what I could do to create moments that would draw my family closer together, and make our home a heaven on earth... all while having fun in the process!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pioneer Activities



In July (usually around the 24th), I always try to do some pioneer related activities as a family. As I reflect on the Mormon pioneers, and all the sacrifices they made, I swell with gratitude. I feel so blessed to live where I live, and be able to believe what I believe. I feel that I owe a debt of gratitude to the pioneers. I want my children to feel that same gratitude. Here are a few of the things we have done in the past:


Play pioneer games. For example, relay races, tag, tug-a-war, or stick pull. For the stick pull, I bought a large dowel, and wrote some of Joseph Smith Jr's quotes in the middle of the stick.

"I had seen a vision; I knew it & I knew that God knew it, & I could not deny it..."

"Yankee Doodle Do It."

"Courage, brethren; & on, on to the victory."

"When the Lord commands, do it."


Go for a Hike

Visit a Church History Site


Make homemade butter. This is simple. We poured whipping cream (about 2 cups) into a glass quart jar (with a screw-on lid). We each took turns shaking the jar while we read pioneer stories. Eventually a ball of butter forms. Pour off any remaining liquid, stir in salt (around 1/4 tsp.), and enjoy-- preferably on homemade rolls or buttermilk (you can use the liquid poured off your butter) biscuits.

Sing Pioneer Songs

Learn About How Pioneer Children Spent Their Days

Make Homemade Ice CreamThere is a fun recipe for individual ice cream in a zip-lock baggie here.

There are so many fun things that can be done. One Year we even made covered wagons out of Twinkies, large marshmallows, stick pretzels, and frosting.
The main idea, is to have fun together as a family.

2 comments:

  1. You inspire me to be a better mom, and woman! You have become the bloggin queen! I think this is my very favorite though, except the lovely pictures of your family on your other blog. I'm going to use your ideas if you don't mind! We are doing the articles of faith this summer too, the kids love memorizing them and playing games with them. I love all your wonderful ideas, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome ideas! Thanks! :)
    Michelle - www.enjoyutah.org founder

    ReplyDelete