"A Happy Home is but an Earthly Heaven"

A few years ago, I found myself standing in the middle of a messy living room... having just gotten upset with someone for something unimportant. The feeling in the house, at that moment, was not exactly what I would call heavenly. I remember thinking, "Hey! What happened? I planned on being a fun mom!" I decided then to focus on what I could do to create moments that would draw my family closer together, and make our home a heaven on earth... all while having fun in the process!

Friday, October 7, 2022

Nurture

 


The Family: A Proclamation to the World says, “By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners” (Family, para. 7).

It points out that that nurturing is one of our main responsibilities as parents. I love the additional light we receive from Elder Ulisses S. Soares, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, in his most recent General Conference address. He said, Nurturing and presiding are interrelated and overlapping responsibilities, which means that mothers and fathers “are obligated to help one another as equal partners” and share a balanced leadership in their home. To nurture means to nourish, teach, and support” family members, which is done by helping them to “learn gospel truths and develop faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ” in an environment of love. To preside means to “help lead family members back to dwell in God’s presence. This is done by serving and teaching with gentleness, meekness, and pure love.” It also includes “leading family members in regular prayer, gospel study, and other aspects of worship. Parents work in unity,” following the example of Jesus Christ, “to fulfill these [two great] responsibilities” (Soares, 2022).

Nurture

In a great resource on the family is a manual published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 2006. It is entitled Strengthening the Family. A section dedicated to nurturing, discusses the findings of Dr. John Gottman. He teaches about the importance that “emotion coaching” plays in our efforts to nurture our children. Emotion coaching is 

When done properly, it has been shown to help children form stronger relationships, do better in school, regulate their own moods better, and bounce back faster from emotions.  It has also been linked to greater health overall. Emotion coaching produces children (who become adults) that manage life’s challenges better.

Gottman outlines 5 steps to emotion coaching:

source: https://www.facebook.com/GottmanInstitute/photos/five-steps-of-emotion-coachingstep-1-be-aware-of-your-childs-emotions-step-2-rec/10156096452940865/


Be Aware of the Child’s Emotions

If we are tuned into our children’s emotions, we can begin coaching before those emotions escalate. A couple months ago, I was asked to help in primary. I was sitting next to a little boy in the youngest class. He was trying to get the chorister’s attention during singing time. He wanted to show the picture he had colored. The chorister was not responding to him, and I could see he was getting upset. I should have intervened at this point, but I was not familiar with the little boy and had no idea that within minutes he would be having a complete and utter freak-out that was beyond his capacity to handle. As we are more aware of our children’s emotions—as well as our own—we can guide them while they are still on the ground level as opposed to over our heads.

 

Recognize Emotion as an Opportunity for Closeness and Teaching

It is so easy to forget that our children are learning and experiencing many emotions for the first times. It is a sacred responsibility to help them learn to navigate those big emotions. “Parents should look at their children’s troubling emotions as opportunities for bonding and growth. Helping soothe a child’s troubled feelings is one of the most satisfying things parents can do. Children feel understood and comforted when kind and loving parents acknowledge and understand their feelings” (Church, 2006, p.36).

Help the Child Identify and Name Emotions

As we listen, we can restate the emotions we are witnessing. There is power in labeling emotions. This builds emotional vocabulary and helps your child increase their ability to express their feelings and calm themselves.




Listen Empathically and Validate the Child’s Feelings

Last week, I got a call from my 8 year old daughter's school informing me she had had a serious accident at recess. She had fallen and hit her face on the pavement. I picked her up from the school to rush her for x-rays. She had hurt her knee and couldn't put weight on one leg at all (so we had to get separate x-rays at a separate doctor’s office on that too). Her teeth were pushed all out of place and had black-top skid marks permanently smeared on them. Her chin was cut up, and her nose was swollen. There was blood and pain and so much emotion covering my little baby's face. She was terrified, and truth be told, I was too. But I kept it together, trying to be her calm in the storm. Typically, my approach is to pep-talk and point out the positive.  I do this even with myself when I experience big emotions. "Kristen, it is going to be OK. Stop feeling sad. Look at all of these things you have to be grateful for."  As I was driving my daughter to the emergency appointments, she was so worried. I could hear trembling in her voice as she repeatedly asked what was going to happen.  I naturally wanted to say, "You're OK. Don't worry. We are going to get you all fixed up and then we can go get a treat." However, I stopped myself. Instead, I said, "I can see that you are so scared. This is scary. I hate when bad things happen. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I am here with you. I will not leave you. We will figure this out together." I was surprised how much more effective those words were over my usual optimistic pep-talk approach.

Set Limits while Helping the Child Learn to Solve Problems

Parents can help set limits and work together by guiding their child to appropriate solutions. “A child’s sense of control increases as parents help the child learn to deal with unpleasant feelings. Children must learn to deal with troubling thoughts and feelings in ways that are socially acceptable and emotionally healthy. Parents may need to set limits on inappropriate behavior while helping children work out problems” (Church, 2006, 40).


Here is a great video for further learning:


Emotion coaching is an amazing tool to not only have in our parenting toolbelt, but also just an all-around worthwhile tool for navigating life in general. When we, as parents, are better at managing our own emotions that will entirely affect our abilities to help our children manage their emotions too. 

I hope you will join me next time, as we discuss the next piece of the National Extension Parent Education Model – Develop.

 

References

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (2006). Strengthening the Family : Instructor's manual.

“Family: A Proclamation to the World.” (1995, November). Ensign, 25, p. 102.

Soares, U. (2022). In partnership with the lord. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Retrieved October 7, 2022, from https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2022/10/25soares?lang=eng

 


No comments:

Post a Comment